By Kenneth J. Thomas
A literary detective tale, a ancient survey, and a huge contribution to translation studies
This ebook from Kenneth J. Thomas is either a philological and linguistic research of Persian translations and a choice for interfaith cooperation. Thomas appraises biblical translation efforts from the 5th to the twenty-first centuries of Persian historical past whilst successive translators and teams of translators, occasionally of alternative faiths, labored to reshape and refine models of the Bible within the supple Persian language in their instances. stressed, impelled, and wide-ranging, it is a tale of translations commissioned by means of shahs, undertaken by means of Christian and Jewish groups, and produced through groups operating outdoors the country.
- E-book version beneficial properties colour plates
- Demonstration of the consequences of the shortcoming of a regular Persian vocabulary for key biblical phrases on literary variety and observe selection
- Technical analyses and overviews of Persian biblical translations
- A cautious exam of 16 centuries' worthy of Bible translations
Kenneth J. Thomas was once a translation advisor of the United Bible Societies for 20 years, within which he labored with translation initiatives within the center East and South Asia. Thomas is the co-author of A instruction manual on Ezra and Nehemiah with Philip A. Noss, and Structure and Orality in 1 Peter: A advisor for Translators with Margaret O. Thomas, either books released through the United Bible Society.
Read Online or Download A Restless Search: A History of Persian Translations of the Bible (History of Bible Translations Book 3) PDF
Similar church history books
In 1209 Simon of Montfort led a struggle opposed to the Cathars of Languedoc after Pope blameless III preached a campaign condemning them as heretics. The suppression of heresy grew to become a pretext for a vicious struggle that continues to be mostly unstudied as an army clash. Laurence Marvin right here examines the Albigensian campaign as army and political background instead of spiritual heritage and strains those dimensions of the clash via to Montfort's demise in 1218.
Religion within the nice healthcare professional tells the tale of ways individuals within the evangelical divine therapeutic circulation of the past due 19th century remodeled the methods americans coped with actual disease and pursued physically future health. interpreting the politics of illness, health and wellbeing, and therapeutic in this interval, Heather D.
In 1428, a devastating fireplace destroyed a schoolhouse within the northern Italian urban of Forlì, leaving just a woodcut of the Madonna and baby that have been tacked to the school room wall. the folk of Forlì carried that print - referred to now because the Madonna of the fireplace - into their cathedral, the place centuries later a brand new chapel was once equipped to enshrine it.
The apostle Paul's figuring out of his function and duties in shifting the cult of Jesus Christ to new lands to came upon new teams dedicated to this immigrant son of God isn't special. His modus operandi can't be effectively defined by way of Jewish precedents. fairly, Paul's development is an artistic appropriation of the iconic Greek version of the founder, the major determine in Greek imaginings of the formation of social house, even if colony or cult.
- Religious Transactions in Colonial South India: Language, Translation, and the Making of Protestant Identity (Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History)
- Chemnitz's Works: Examination of the Council of Trent IV
- Intercessory Prayer and the Monastic Ideal in the Time of the Carolingian Reforms (Oxford Theology and Religion Monographs)
- Earliest Christian History: History, Literature, and Theology. Essays from the Tyndale Fellowship in Honor of Martin Hengel (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament / 2. Reihe)
Extra resources for A Restless Search: A History of Persian Translations of the Bible (History of Bible Translations Book 3)